THE PROJECT ON A PAGE
The Blacktown and Mount Druitt Hospital Expansion Project (BMDH Project) includes new building, refurbishment, infrastructure upgrades and service expansion to:
Meet the growing health care needs of our community now and in the future
Expand Mount Druitt Hospital and Blacktown Hospital to provide more services close to home
Reduce the need to travel out of the area for treatment
Transform Blacktown into a major teaching hospital for western Sydney.
Blacktown Hospital will expand to be a major teaching hospital for western Sydney, in a network of hospital services. Mount Druitt Hospital will be a centre of excellence for surgery, as well as continuing to provide high quality care to the local community.
To make sure we get it right, we’re including staff, patients, carers and the community in our planning and design. To date, we’ve had more than 14,000 interactions with staff, patients, carers, community members, consumer representatives, and local community members, organisations and businesses about our project.
The project also includes:
An award-winning arts and cultural program
Major digital hospital initiatives
Contemporary new models of care.
BLACKTOWN HOSPITAL STAGE 1
Stage 1 at Blacktown Hospital delivered:
- A new sub-acute mental health unit called the Melaleuca Unit, completed in 2014
- A new multi-storey car park, completed in 2014
- Extensive internal refurbishment
- A new clinical services building, completed in 2016
- Improvements to roads, paths and gardens
- Infrastructure upgrades to manage our increased capacity
- Arts and culture program
- Digital kiosks to for outpatient check-in, Paper-Lite electronic hospital records and other digital and technology projects
- Carer zones for carers to stay overnight with an adult patient, plus improvements to visiting hours
- More health and construction jobs.
The new building was officially opened on 17 May 2016 by the former Premier of NSW Mike Baird and former NSW Minister for Health Jillian Skinner.
BLACKTOWN HOSPITAL STAGE 1 REFURBISHMENT
- A new digital operating theatre.
- A new cardiac catheter/diagnostic imaging laboratory and associated support areas.
- Three new ultrasound rooms.
- A new Biomedical Engineering Department.
- Expansion of the existing kitchen.
- Expansion of engineering & maintenance.
- Reconfiguration of the existing health records store (HIRS).
- Construction of a Central Equipment Loan Pool Department.
- Expansion of the existing mortuary.
BLACKTOWN HOSPITAL STAGE 1 CAR PARKING
600-plus car spaces new multi-storey car park plus bike racks & motorcycle parking – completed 2014.
- Close to public transport
- Wheelchair accessible
- Hospitality outlets onsite
- Rehabilitation facilities