An improved concept plan for Greenwich Hospital, including more trees reduced building heights and deletion of seniors living villas along St Vincents Road, is now before the NSW Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.
The plan will transform the 1960s hospital into an integrated health campus with specialist care services for seniors and people with complex health needs along with serviced seniors living accommodation intended for people with chronic health conditions.
The latest changes followed a review of submissions lodged to the initial concept proposal and ongoing consultation with individual stakeholders, community groups, government agencies and Lane Cove Council in early 2019. A community drop in event was also held on 28 August 2019 to preview the changes.
As the project is a State Significant Development, the Independent Planning Commission will make a determination of the project in the second half of 2020.
Key amendments to the initial concept plan include:
- protection of the tree canopy through an adjustment of the building footprint, saving 48 more existing trees, and a commitment to plant more than 60 new trees
- reduction in the bulk and scale of the Serviced Seniors Living buildings by up to two floors at the western end to minimise visual impact on neighbours and Pallister House
- deletion of the seniors living villas along St Vincents Road to enhance the Pallister House heritage curtilage
- changes to the hospital basement to increase the setback from Pallister House
- changes to building layouts to create a new sightline to Pallister House from River Road
- a new respite care facility
- removal of proposed driveway widening from River Road to retain the tree canopy and minimise civil works
- a new construction staging program to prioritise health services.
Greenwich hospital now
Greenwich Hospital has been operating since 1966 and today provides more than 34,000 inpatient and outpatient services, as well as almost 28,000 inpatient bed days annually.
We are now planning for the future of Greenwich Hospital so we can continue to cater to the growing demand for health care and deliver additional services to meet the community’s needs over the long-term.
Our vision for the future is to enhance the delivery of quality care services for people in need, by creating a modern and contemporary health and hospital campus at Greenwich.
- Free off street parking
- Paid off street parking
- Close to public transport
- Wheelchair accessible
- After hours access
- Rehabilitation facilities
- Onsite pharmacy