Neringah Hospital provides an integrated inpatient service and a comprehensive community palliative care service to residents in the surrounding Hornsby and Ku-ring-gai local government areas within northern Sydney.
Neringah Hospital has a multidisciplinary team approach to palliative care. This enables our services to comprehensively explore all treatment options and significantly provide better outcomes for patients. Our palliative care teams include: palliative medicine specialists, nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, social workers, activities officer, speech pathologists, dieticians, pastoral care workers and volunteers.
Inpatient Palliative Care Unit
Neringah Hospital Inpatient unit provides short term acute care to patients managing a life limiting illness. The unit provides palliative care for:
- Short term admission to alleviate symptoms and the distress they cause
- Holistic care to meet the special needs of patients in the final stages of their illness
All bedrooms have ensuite bathrooms, and patients will benefit from a beautiful garden and large family room to relax with relatives in, as well as a chapel, visitor kitchen facilities and a lounge.
Residents have the opportunity to socialise and get involved in activities such as art, music and pet visits. Patients can also participate in a happy hour trolley if they wish.
While Neringah Hospital is a public hospital, patients with private health insurance who elect to be admitted as a private patient can do so. If you use your private health insurance hospital cover, you will have no out of pocket expenses for services received in our hospital.
Community Palliative Care
Neringah Hospital provides a community palliative care service supporting patients to manage life limiting illnesses in the home environment and clinic setting.
Community Palliative Care includes:
- Home visits made by specialist palliative care nurses and the allied health team.
- Medical support for symptom control such as fatigue, breathlessness, poor appetite, nausea and vomiting, pain and swallowing difficulties
- Recommendation and provision of specialist equipment to assist patients to remain at home. Neringah Hospital has an Equipment Loan Pool service where available equipment is loaned to patients free of charge
- Information and advice on advance care planning
The Community Palliative Care Services provides a Palliative Care Clinic where patients who are well enough are able to attend the hospital for appointments with Palliative Care staff specialists.
A referral from your GP or treating specialist is required for access to the Palliative Care Community Services. There are no out of pocket expenses for this service.
- Free off street parking
- Paid off street parking
- Close to public transport
- Wheelchair accessible
- After hours access
- Rehabilitation facilities